The Tampa Bay Area
, often just called Tampa Bay
after the body of water it surrounds, is the heart of West Central Florida. It is the second most populated metropolitan region in Florida.
Bordered on the west by the Gulf of Mexico, it encompasses Tampa and surrounding communities
in Hillsborough County; Pinellas County and its 24 municipalities including St. Petersburg and Clearwater plus the Beaches and Palm Harbor
; and to the north, Pasco and Hernando Counties
. (For a more comprehensive list of communities, go to www.jewishpresstampabay.com
The area has an active, year-round Jewish community of more than 45,000 Jews.
The Tampa Bay Jewish Community is served by:
• 35 synagogues and other religious institutions
• 2 Jewish federations
• 2 Jewish community centers
• 2 family service agencies
• 1 Jewish day school
• 7 Jewish-sponsored preschools
• 1 Hebrew charter school
• 5 Jewish college campus organizations
• 1 regional Jewish, community-sponsored, kosher nursing home facility and adult day center.
• 3 kosher assisted living facilities
• 1 Jewish-sponsored senior residence
The Tampa Bay area is also home to the Florida Holocaust Museum and offices of the Jewish National Fund and Israel Bonds.